Friday, July 24, 2009

Black Bean Burgers


So lately I have been eating a lot of black bean veggie burgers for two reasons. One, they are really quick. Two, they're pretty freaking tasty. So usually I have them on toasted multigrain with salsa and cheese or mustard. Or no bread, just salsa. This is my sister, Jenn's way. But I think they're too expensive, so this weekend I'm going to make my own.
I'm thinking a can of black beans, half crushed and half rough chopped, corn, egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. They have to be fairly easy to make, and much more cost effective than my current purchases.

Don't get me wrong I really like a good burger, but I have high standards. I've been to a few to many BBQs where the burgers are frankly murdered. For one, the peeps are cooking frozen burgers and then grinding the spatula into them to drain all possible juices out of them. I know these frozen, cheap burgers feed the masses, but they don't tantalize my taste buds.

Perhaps I can convince one of my grill-owning friends to host a burger cooking extravaganza. Veggie burgers, real burgers, lamb burgers, even bison perhaps. Even a "sliders" event perhaps.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick- Denise found a yummy burger recipe from the Barefoot contessa...you should look it up!

Jessica said...

I've been wanting to make my own black bean burger too--let me know if your recipe is a winner. I'll throw one together and we can compare. I want to go that burger bake off!

Martyn Oliver said...

Nick, you're burger extravaganza can be arranged! Let's put together a plan and make it happen. I think we need to get a little America's Test Kitchen on this one--more precision, less Bobby Flay obnoxiousness.

Nick said...

so the black bean burgers take a lot of bread crumbs and I didn't have that much bread. I think i need to cook the moisture out of most of the veggies. It's not an easy recipe. So if they are on the grill, it's a disaster, in a pan, they are tasty.

N

Aly Beth said...

Wow~~ This is like opening up a whole new world to me! Delicious looking, too!

Thanks,
Aly