Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why are we not there yet?

My life has been surrounded by a multitude of strong, brilliant women. I am most fortunate to learn from these women and so often in awe. The last two nights I have watched Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton address the Democratic National Convention. And while they are markedly different in their background, approach, and goals, it is clear that they are special. Am I shocked? Absolutely not.

The reason I am not at all surprised by the remarkable success and strength of Michelle and Hillary, is the remarkableness of the women in my life. My mother is such a kind soul and makes me laugh. It is really simple, making me laugh is so important to me. My mom has endured and is so courageous. I know I am super biased, but she is amazing. She's been a wonderful mother and a pillar of the feminine in my life. My friend, Ali, challenges me to think in different ways. She has opened my eyes to new perspectives and new avenues of thought. And, most importantly, she has a great smile and uses it often. Smiling is inviting and again so important to me. Emily, my friend, really understands. She knows how to listen. Em has always been really honest with me, and isn't that so important?

Then there is Jenn, my sister. I don't know if there is anyone in this world who believes in me more. She is brilliant, strong, sweet, vulnerable, affectionate, and beautiful. She has challenged me to be better and praised me for my accomplishments, however small. I am astounded by her. How am I so lucky to have a sister and a best friend, all in one? But it is not just the emotional that Jenn encompasses. She is a leader. She is accomplished. She has an abiding belief in herself and those people and things that are a part of her realm.

So this brings me to my question. Why are we not there yet? Why is it not a women taking the podium on Thursday to accept the Democratic nomination? Why is it not a women being sworn in as President in January? Why has the patriarchy prevailed? Well that will have to remain my question. But know this, when society as a whole realizes what I know, women and men will truly be equals.

I thank all the women in my life. I thank them for teaching me to think from a new perspective. I thank them for being such pillars. I thank them for them. I am so honored to have grown with the inspiration of such wonderful women.

3 comments:

Jenn Rogers said...

i have tears in my eyes. i'm so overwhelmed by your kind, loving, and supportive words. you are THE best man--literally and figuratively!!

Ali said...

Nick Rogers for President!
Thank you, sweetie. I'm so touched.
careful, though, you gotta save somethin for the speech! just kidding...don't hold back EVER!

Jessica said...

Nick, thanks for such a sweet and powerful post. I have been asking myself the same question! I thought we had come a lot further in this country but sadly, that's not the case. I am happy that you have been surrounded by such amazing women and that above all, you recognize the amazing in them.