Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Communication & Politics

So this past week I've been wondering how do I communicate to my peers, my acquaintances and those I don't know the importance of November 4th when we elect a new president?
How do I let everyone know that our decision on one day is so important for 1461 days that follow?
How do I transcend the passion and emotion of my feelings towards politics and the elections and really inform?
How do you argue constructively and correctly with an non-accepting audience that can only counter with emotion and anecdotal evidence?
How do I assure everyone that their choices matter?

There are a number of people in my life that run the spectrum of politic views. From the non-voter, to the lefty liberal, to the righty conservative. It is is hard to convince those who are unaccepting of your views to understand your position and appreciate your point-of-view.

For now I will send them interesting articles like Maureen Dowd's columns from the New York Times.

I'd appreciate any advice.

2 comments:

Martyn Oliver said...

I can't imagine there being any other way than to just start asking questions. Ask, ask, ask. Eventually, people get to their real reasons. Then, and only then, does it make sense to push a little.

Thanks for the thoughts. We've got a duty to perform.

Ali said...

The mediator in me says if you want other people to listen and respect your point of view, then start by listening to and respecting their point of view. If you find it's impossible to understand their point of view, then my guess is it'll probably be impossible for them to understand your point of view. But if you're passionate about wanting to share your opinions and knowledge, go for it...who knows how it'll impact the world.