Friday, October 31, 2008

The Phillies Win

So this is a few days late.  But the Philadelphia Phillies won the world series and the 2008 World Champions of Baseball.  And to celebrate, Charlie Manuel, the Phils manager sported this hat.

So I was unfortunately in Boulder, Colorado for the final game.  At least I wasn't on a plane.  But I saw it all and it was great. I wish I was with my sister or Dad to celebrate but none-the-less, I cheered with myself.  

I have to admit that tears welled in my eyes during the post game.  I had a huge grin on my face, so tears, and I was really happy.  It doesn't seem real.  I can't believe this team, the one team I follow religiously actually did it.  As a Philly Phan, you are naturally skeptical.  And they proved me wrong. I was optimistic as possible but it was hard to really believe.  But I've seen these guys for a many years.  I've been to spring training for 6 years, except this year.  I saw Chase Utley when he wasn't quite ready to ready to play in the bigs. I remember seeing Pat the Bat, come of age. I remember Ryan Howard kick Jim Thome out of town.  

Those were some great times in Jack Russell stadium in St. Pete.  And those were some great times with my dad.  

Baseball is a serious commitment. 162 games.  For the Phillies, it was 176 games to win it all.  And it was great.  

The Family at the Phillies game (Martyn is wearing the wrong hat).

3 comments:

Martyn Oliver said...

If ya'll would just buy me the right hate, I'd be happy to wear it! I've always been an American League guy, so I obviously need a National League cap!

(If I can have my druthers, an old-school maroon one with the "P"!)!

Martyn Oliver said...

I meant "hat"--no hate here!

Ali said...

glad you're writing again! thanks for putting a human touch on this sport that i totally don't get.