Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Beet it.

I’ve been run over by a ride but I eventually got back on. I’ve hated things for no reason, but I eventually grown to love them. I lost a lot of time questioning myself rather than just doing it. I didn’t eat weird vegetables either because my mom couldn’t make them, I didn’t like the looks of them, or I was scared. I’m not scared anymore. I love them. I love the new surprise of something old becoming something new.



Take the Beet. It was never in my realm. It was something purple or red and pickled and scary and not for me. Now it’s something I cherish, pickled or not. It’s sweet, it’s a taste of the earth, yet not earthy. It’s a bit ugly but yet inside it reveals its majestic qualities. I think that’s what draws me to it now. It is a hidden pleasure. Not normal, but majestic. Nuanced.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say 'yuck' to a beet. Gross, very gross! However, maybe wrapped with a piece of bacon, then I might enjoy. But until I try it wrapped up with bacon goodness, I will stay clear of beets!

Martyn Oliver said...

Trisha, when we come to visit you in the ATL in March (yep, we bought tickets!) I promise to make you beets that you'll love. Really.

Jessica said...

Remember when you made that awesome beet salad with feta and it was the first time Jared had ever eaten a beet? I love an earthy beet, especially if it is in a salad you have made.

Anonymous said...

I love The Beets..."I need more allowance yodelayeeeeoooooo!"