Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Furniture and Presidents

So Joan and Dave (aka Mom and Dad) were in town this weekend. And as promised they purchased a dining table and chairs for me. Thanks so much J & D (or M & D). By the way, my mom sent me a nice Valentine's Day card signed "Love, Joan and Dave (aka Mom and Dad)". I got a good laugh and teased my mom about it for a while. I think she was confusing me with my brother-in-law who does call them Joan and Dave.


"The Table"


"The Chairs"

And we also stopped by Arlington National Cemetery, final resting place to over 320,000 soldiers and their family members. I am not sure how to feel about that. They average 28 burials on weekdays, another staggering fact. I felt conflicted between the historical nature of the site and the fact that so many men and women have died for the country. Should we be traipsing on these hallowed grounds. I also felt this compelling need for silence and respect. The numerous school groups annoyed me with their fleeting and cavalier attitudes towards this place of awe.

I respect those who fight for our country. I just wish we didn't have to fight so much.

2 comments:

Ali said...

hey nick. we are looking for a dining room table and chairs. yours looks nice. where'd you get it?

Jessica said...

Let's break in that furniture! I love it! Also, I think Arlington National Cemetery is such a beautiful resting place--those grand trees provide so much calm company and shelter. I too wish fighting weren't necessary.