Thursday, July 31, 2008

Baseball with Dad

There is something about going to baseball games that bonds my dad and I together. We've been to countless number of games in my lifetime. From the one's in the Yankee stadium corporate box seats to the March sunshine in Florida's Spring Training. Baseball has been a bond that my father and I have shared for quite a while, perhaps for as long as I can remember. Like many father/son relationships, sports, and namely baseball, has allowed the father/son relationship to be uncomplicated. Despite the squabbles of my father's and my relationship over the years, we've almost always have found time to catch a game.

One of the many reasons baseball works with my dad and I is that we can talk about almost anything baseball related throughout the entire game. Or we can just sit an enjoy the green grass, the deep brown dirt, and the marvel of a round ball, a round bat, and the intense struggle control those two things, that make up the game. Last night, the three hour game seemed like a flash. I can not recall the conversations we had specifically but we talked almost the entire game. I guess I really appreciate the time that my dad and I can spend together. I appreciate the fun little facts that we tell each other. There is an enormous history of my father's youth that is encompassed in baseball and an enormous history of my youth in baseball of which my dad was all apart of. I am quite lucky in that regards.

I remember when I was a little squirt in Pee Wee ball and made that unassisted Triple Play, my baseball claim to fame. I remember my dad and I almost fighting everyday when I was 13 and he was coaching my team. Yet that was one of my best years of playing. I remember the first spring training when it was just my dad and I in Florida, watching games and soaking in the sun. I have a lot of good memories of my time with my dad with baseball and hopefully more to come.

3 comments:

Ali said...

I feel so touched by this, Nick. So sweet.

Jenn Rogers said...

Nick--any thoughts about sharing this with Dad? I think he would be so moved to read this. xo

mickproud said...

I love those moments and the more to come
Love,
Dad