Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Green Beans

Green beans are one of my favorite vegetables. Actually I like pretty much every vegetable. They also happen to be super easy to make. I really like the French Variety, Haricot Vert (remember the French don't pronounce the t at the end).

I am making a recipe this weekend that is Asian inspired. It is Asian Green Beans with Carrot and a light Peanut Sauce.

Ingredients:
Green Beans (pound or so)
One Large Carrot
Chunky Peanut butter
Soy Sauce
Vegetable Oil
Toasted Sesame Oil
Rice Wine Vinegar
Sesame Seeds
Green Onion (Scallion)

First you trim the green beans. You only want to remove the end that was attached to the actual plant. In the picture below its the end on the lower left.

I'll blanch the green beans very quickly in boiling water (a minute or so depending on their size) then immediately cool in an ice/water bath to stop the cooking. They should be bright green.

Peel the carrot and julienne. I will use my mandoline.



To make the peanut sauce, use a heaping spoonful of peanut butter (I only have chunky in my cabinet, and prefer it because it adds some crunch). Add about a table spoon of soy sauce, vegetable oil and toasted sesame oil. Then whisk in the rice wine vinegar until a smooth consistency that will coat a spoon but is not too thick. Unlike normal vinaigrettes that start thin with the goal of thicker, this sauce starts really thick and you thin it out.

I toast sesame seeds in a heavy bottom skillet. I would use medium heat and keep a really close eye on them. Swirl the pan and toss the seeds frequently. They'll turn a slight brown fairly quickly (but also go to burned fast as well). I also really thinly slice the green onion on a bias (angle) and set aside for garnish.

So just toss the beans and carrot with the peanut sauce and remember not to over dress the veggies. Top with the toasted sesame seeds and green onion.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I'm loving how this is turning into a recipe blog! How did you get all those perfect pictures? I'm so excited to taste your creation this weekend...not to mention how excited I am to see you!

Jenn Rogers said...

YUM!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to have this this weekend. xo